The Quays 1819 - Cafe-Bar

The Quays 1819 

 

Quayside retreat, And place to meet 

0114 2763031 

Welcome

The Quays 1819  Out on the Quayside  Arch 18

 

 

 
The QUAYS 1819 is now closed

For more information please call us on 0114 2786314 

 

 

 

A little history of the building/area.

The quays 1819 and the Sheffield and Tinsley Canal 

 

The arches 18 and 19 are part of what is left of the old railway yard which formed part of the Canal Basin complex. 

The Sheffield and Tinsley Canal’s Act of Parliament was passed in 1815, after which the canal took 4 years to build. It is just under 4 miles long, originally it had 12 locks, an aqueduct and 15 bridges. The first boats reached the basin on the 22nd February 1819.  

The canal follows the Don Valley to join the river Don near Meadowhall close to Junction 34 of the M1 motorway.   

The arches were built early in the 1840’s when a railway company brought out the Canal Company, because the canal basin was in an ideal location for the City’s markets. 

The railway arches ran from here back to Effingham road with the railway sidings running above, with storage in the arches. They have even been bonded warehouses.

1976 saw the last commercial load reach the basin, the passenger/trip boat (LB Hardfeet) and leisure craft still regularly use the waterway to day.

During the 1990's the area was re-generated into a fantastic leisure facility for the general public. 

The Canal Basin renamed Victoria Quays is a peaceful place next to the city centre, just explore the basin area or start from here to walk/cycle along the canal.  Likewise you can walk from Rotherham or Meadowhall ending at the basin. For those of you driving the on site car park is accessed off Derek Dolley Way - direction coming from the Parkway.

 

 

The Quays 1819 is the perfect place to sit and enjoy the area while taking refreshments.

We have a large waterside outside seating area.

 

 Arch 18 seating area  Outside The Quays 1819